Sunday, December 17, 2006

Old Friends & The Lakers

I thought about calling this post "Longtime Friends" & The Lakers, but I'm the first to admit, we're kind of OLD! I'm sure some bloggers have lists of things to write about or some general focus to their blog, but since I'm sort of a "baby blogger" (despite my rather advanced age), I just write about things as they happen. So when my dear friend Toni called & invited me to join her & her adorable nephew Tyler at a Lakers game, I thought "I am going to blog about the Lakers game". Well as we drove from the OC to the beautiful Staples Center, I found a new topic for today's entry: "Things You Don't Know About Your Longtime Friends". I've known Toni for 25 years, but I just found out that she is a HORRIBLE driver! I don't know why I've never driven with Toni before, but let me describe some fun facts about our wild ride. I would consider myself a fairly relaxed person & I've taught 3 teenagers to drive, with no incidents or even close calls; but our short drive to LA was like a Disneyland E Ticket (once again showing my age!). I was alerted to Toni's "little problem" when she came within inches of the car in front of us before lurching to a stop. She casually said " I'm not a very good driver, I accidentally hit the gas instead of the brakes." She then started telling a story, that involved a lot of hand gestures, with no hands on the wheel. Toni also decided to point out all the drivers on the highway who she deemed to be worse drivers than she was. This involved her actually pointing at the offending vehicles and her car heading straight at them! After about an hour, she mentioned that she was having a hard time reading the signs. She asked me to get her purse & the new glasses that she'd just gotten!! She casually added that her doctor had said something about her eyes being equivalent to someone 10 years older. People can handle stress in many ways. It turns out that Tyler & I are the type to laugh uncontrollably. Well the Lakers/ Houston game was amazing. They were 21 points behind, but won in double overtime. I'd like to offer a special thank you to Toni's nephew Tyler. He put up with two middle aged women who still occasionally act like silly teenaged cheerleaders. If you happen to meet Toni (she's a smart, funny, beautiful girl) please offer her a ride.
http://web.mac.com/tonimarano/iWeb/ToniMaranoPilates/About%20The%20Program.html

6 comments:

Erin Murphy said...

Toni-
I tried to add photos all day & it wouldn't let me. I finally put them in their very own post (see above)

alex said...

Oh thank god!!! I'm happy to learn that I'm not only one bad driver in the world! lol by the way I've got my driving licence for 2 weeks and I ever drove alone just twice so... (but i'm a bad driver though and I'm still wondering why they gave it to me!)anyway I totally understand you Toni! lol and you too Erin since I live you lived everytime my mother drive! lol I'm pretty sur that you're gonna think that my family is full of da,gerous drivers but there's exceptions lol! ;) but I'm going to defend myself since it's really known taht french are dangerous drivers (I have NO doubt about my nationality! ;))

alex said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Brophtron said...

Erin is on Wednesday's show; it just aired on the East Coast and she looked great - almost like an Army Ranger!

Toni - if you're a bad driver, should you really get your pilot's license? That might make the air a little tense, or intense.

Brophtron said...

LOL - excellent point. Just be careful on the takeoffs and landings! You definitely missed Erin last night - the first contestant was gone in under half an hour. You may still be able to see the episode on NBC.com

http://www.nbc.com/Video/rewind/full_episodes/identity.shtml

Brophtron said...

OK, that whole URL didn't post right. Just go to

http://www.nbc.com/

Scroll down to where you see "NBC 24/7 Video" and look for "Identity". Click on that and you'll see links to play each day's episodes through last night.