Friday, May 11, 2012

Funny Ladies of TVLand!

I've been involved with TVLand since...well, since before they were TVLand, back when they only had Nick@Nite. I was one of the celebrities who helped promote the network by doing the Nick@Nite traveling road show. We'd visit malls around the country & put on little game shows & had thousands of people show up to get autographs. It was at one of these events that I had one of my strangest autograph requests: signing a saddle in Texas. At my first Nick@Nite mall visit, I worked with this great young guy who had just started. He was smart and hard working, got me coffee & helped with everything. He's now the senior vice president of the Disney Channel (Adam Bonnett! Let's do lunch!). I also had the distinct privilege of being the very first "Miss TVLand' at the very first TVLand Awards. I don't know if they still call it Miss TVLand. In fact, I don't know if anyone but me called it Miss TVLand; but I was the first official trophy girl. I had the pleasure of spending a few days of rehearsal with John Ritter & sat two feet away from Ray Charles as he practiced Georgia. Last night, I was on hand for the funny ladies of TVLand at the Television Academy. It's Emmy campaigning season, so the lead actresses from the three TVLand sitcoms were there happily promoting: Fran Drescher, Rita Moreno & Tichina Arnold from Happily Divorced, Kristen Johnston from The Exes & Valerie Bertinelli, Betty White & Jane Leeves from Hot in Cleveland. The poor moderator had her hands full trying to guide the conversation; but the stories were hilarious! When asked what they'd like to be doing in 5 years, Valerie Bertinelli said that she'd love to be a grandma & Betty White replied "Maybe dating less...maybe not!". Rita Moreno is a class act & looks NOWHERE near her eighty years. Kristen Johnston proved to be very...'animated'. She also had the funniest line of the night. After Kristen spoke about her past drug abuse, Valerie Bertinelli mentioned, 'You know, Mackenzie Phillips..." Kristen responded with 'Not all addicts know one another'. The evening was very much like brunch with my gal pals (most of us actresses). We all laugh & tell stories & talk over each other. Somehow TVLand forgot the red carpet for the 'red carpet', so we all posed against a wall. I think Rita & I rocked the column!
Love Fran Drescher's dress!
Photo Credit: Toby Canham/ Stringer/ Getty Images

No comments: