Saturday, November 10, 2007

Edamame Update

Who would have thought that my post on chocolate covered edamame would cause me to receive over 100 e-mails? Many people agreed with me that it didn't sound good. Cooks & chefs said the combination would be fine (perhaps even delicious). I also heard from several Trader Joe's employees (& friends of Trader Joe's employees). I learned from them that TJ workers sample all the products that they carry (what a great idea!). The consensus was that since the edamame are dry roasted the taste is similar to a chocolate covered nut. Alright, I like chocolate covered nuts, so I decided to drive over & pick up a container so I could give a fair review. When I arrived, I headed straight to the edamame display & ...it was gone! The edamame had been replaced with caramel covered popcorn. Oh well, I guess I wouldn't be able to do my little taste test after all. But then, I was approached by "Brad" one of my super helpful TJ "crew members". He told me that it had simply been moved to the "chocolate covered" section of the store. So. here I sit with an open container of Trader Joe's Dark Chocolate Edamame. What does it taste like? Let's see: dark chocolate, slightly salty & crunchy like a nut. It reminds me of the Trader Joe's milk chocolate covered soy nuts (& that makes perfect sense since edamame are soybeans, after all). Will I get them again? Probably not, but at least I can honestly say that they aren"t as horrible as they sound.

3 comments:

Brophtron said...

This is the point where I'll admit that I had no idea what edamame was. None. And now you've saved me the trouble of trying them covered in chocolate. But these were good blog entries - after your health issue, the moving process, wildfires and a reality star jumping on Danny Bonaduce, it's actually refreshing to read about a post just wondering about a new food product like this!

Erin Murphy said...

Aww Broph, you're so cute. At least 1/4 of the e-mails didn't know what edamame was. In case you're wondering, it's pronounced: ed-uh-mommy

Anita Poole said...

I had no idea it had such a weird pronunciation. Do you know what language it is from?